DWG and DXF files can be imported into GMS and displayed to assist in model placement or simply to enhance the display of a model.
The objects in a DWG or DXF file are organized into layers. The display of layers in a CAD drawing is controlled using the check boxes in the Project Explorer. Individual layers can be turned off/on or to turn off the display of all CAD data then uncheck the box next to the " CAD" folder.
The CAD options are included with all paid editions of GMS. CAD data can be imported with the Community Edition.
CAD Item Right-Click Menu
- Remove Data
- To delete the CAD data right-click on the " CAD" item in the tree and select Delete from the pop-up menu. If the CAD data was imported from a file, the file is not deleted from disk.
- CAD ￫ Feature Objects
- CAD data can be converted to GMS feature objects by right-clicking on the " CAD" item in the Project Explorer and selecting the Convert → command. CAD points are turned into points, CAD lines and polylines are turned into arcs, and CAD polygons are turned into polygons. The feature objects are added to the active coverage. Once converted, the feature objects can be used to build conceptual models.
- CAD ￫ TIN
- Sets of CAD faces and points that have been imported to GMS can be converted to a TIN by right-clicking on the " CAD" item in the Project Explorer and selecting either the Convert | CAD Faces → TIN Triangles or the Convert | CAD Points → TIN Points command.
- Convert To CAD
- This command converts any visible geometric data into CAD format internally within GMS. This CAD data will be saved with the project as a DWG file or can be exported as a separate DWG or DXF file. This command is found either in the Display menu or by right-clicking in the empty space in the Project Explorer.; Projection → : If you select this and then select Projection... to open up a Projection dialog specific to the CAD items selected. Pressing Projection → | Set As Display Projection also allows you to set the projection to display.
- CAD → Solids
- Using this command will allow the modification of chosen layers to be converted into solids. It is accessed by right-clicking on the " CAD" item in the Project Explorer and selecting the Convert → | Solids....
- This option allows the user to open a properties dialog that aids in the specification of properties related to different layers of the project.
GMS – Groundwater Modeling System
|Modules:||2D Grid • 2D Mesh • 2D Scatter Point • 3D Grid • 3D Mesh • 3D Scatter Point • Boreholes • GIS • Map • Solid • TINs • UGrids|
|Models:||FEFLOW • FEMWATER • MODAEM • MODFLOW • MODPATH • mod-PATH3DU • MT3DMS • MT3D-USGS • PEST • PHT3D • RT3D • SEAM3D • SEAWAT • SEEP2D • T-PROGS • ZONEBUDGET|