A set of step-by-step tutorials have been developed to aid in learning how to use SMS.
There are two options for installing tutorials: download the tutorials and files individually by subject matter from the SMS learning center, or download an installation that includes all of the core tutorials and files. Some of the additional tutorials (TUFLOW, PTM, CGWAVE) still need to be downloaded separately. Since a subset of the tutorials is often all that is needed, the recommended approach is to download and install them as needed from the SMS learning center.
Accessing Tutorials Through the SMS Learning Center
The SMS Learning Center is the portal to all of the training needed to learn how to use SMS. All of the SMS tutorial documents and files can be accessed via download from the SMS Learning Center. To access the SMS Learning Center and tutorials click here, or follow these steps:
- Go to www.aquaveo.com
- Click on the SMS logo found on the right side of the screen. This will go to the SMS homepage.
- Once at the SMS homepage, click on the SMS Learning Center icon.
- In the SMS Learning Center page, scroll down to the tutorials. There, the tutorials are divided into two groups: general SMS tutorials, and tutorials for specific models found within SMS. All are available for download.
Opening and Downloading Tutorials
Each tutorial consists of a PDF document, and its associated tutorial files.
- Open the PDF document by right-clicking on it, then selecting Open link in new tab.
- Then, click on the files icon and choose the Save as... option.
- Choose the directory in which to run and save the tutorial files.
- Once the files have finished downloading, select the Open option.
- When the data files come up, extract the files by clicking on the Extract all files option.
- Once the files are extracted, begin the tutorial.
Note: Do not save the tutorial documents and files to the Program Files directory.
Tutorials are available through the SMS Learning Center. Below is a list of some tutorials available at the SMS Learning Center.
|Overview||Data Visualization||Feature Stamping|
|GIS||Google Earth||Import From Web|
|Import Spectral Data||Map Module||Mesh Editing|
|Mesh Generation||Observation||Scattered Datasets|
|SMS Model Tutorials|
|ADCIRC||ADCIRC LTEA Meshing||ADCIRC Symmetric Hurricane Simulation|
|CGWAVE||Additional CGWAVE||CMS Flow|
|CMS Wave||FESWMS||FESWMS Steering|
|FESWMS Sensitivity||FESWMS Weirs||Generic Mesh Model|
|STWAVE||TUFLOW 1D||TUFLOW 2D|
|TUFLOW AD||TUFLOW FV||Additional TUFLOW|
|FHWA SRH-2D Tutorials °°|
|SRH-2D Simulations||SRH-2D Culvert Structures||SRH-2D Culvert Structures HY-8|
|SRH-2D Gates||SRH-2D Obstructions||SRH-2D Bridge Pressure Flow|
|SRH-2D Weir Flow||SRH-2D Sediment Transport||SRH-2D Cohesive Sediment Transport|
|SRH-2D Unsteady Sediment Transport||SRH-2D 2D Summary Table|
- °° Developed by the Federal Highway Administration with support from Aquaveo.
To get started with SMS, it is generally recommended to go through the tutorials in the following order:
Many users have become proficient using the tutorials, however, many users have found attending SMS training courses to be helpful. Training courses allow for dedicated time and practice in learning SMS and can be adapted to individual needs. Aquaveo conducts first-class training courses in water resources modeling on a continuing basis throughout the year. Instructors have many years of experience in software development of computer programs for scientific modeling and visualization.
Request SMS training courses at: www.aquaveo.com/training-courses
Aquaveo offers Continuing Education Units for each course to assist customers in meeting state registration board requirements for P.E. license renewal.
Several videos tutorials demonstrating basic SMS functionality are available online. Video tutorials are available at the following link:
SMS – Surface-water Modeling System
|Modules:||1D Grid • Cartesian Grid • Curvilinear Grid • GIS • Map • Mesh • Particle • Quadtree • Raster • Scatter|
|General Models:||FVCOM • Generic • PTM • TUFLOW FV|
|Coastal Models:||ADCIRC • BOUSS-2D • CGWAVE • CMS-Flow • CMS-Wave • GenCade • STWAVE • WAM|
|Riverine/Estuarine Models:||ADH • FESWMS • HEC-RAS • HYDRO AS-2D • RMA2 • RMA4 • SRH-2D • Steering • TUFLOW|
|Aquaveo • SMS Tutorials • SMS Workflows|