WMS:Import and Export GIS Files
The Import GIS File and Export GIS File commands in the HEC-RAS menu can do the following:
Import GIS File
WMS communicates the processed geometric data to HEC-RAS through the same GIS file that is used by the ArcView® Geo-RAS program. This file does not contain a complete model definition for a HEC-RAS project, but it does contain the river reach, cross section, and other important geometric components.
When importing the GIS file (this could be a file created by the Geo-RAS extension for ArcView®) a 1D-Hydraulic Centerline coverage, and 1D Cross Section Coverage will be created along with a new database where the cross section geometry is stored. As part of the Import GIS File command, a prompt will ask for a file name to save the cross section database to.
Export GIS File
WMS communicates the processed geometric data to HEC-RAS through the same GIS file that is used by the ArcView® Geo-RAS program. This file does not contain a complete model definition for a HEC-RAS project, but it does contain the river reach, cross section, and other important geometric components. After the file has been exported, WMS will bring the exported hydraulic model into HEC-RAS as a new project.
- Open the project in HEC-RAS
- Select File | Export GIS Data.... Select the data to export, specify the location and name of the file in the top field (Export File:), and then select Export Data. This exports the data so that WMS can recognize it. Click here for more information.
- Close HEC-RAS completely.
- Open WMS
- Switch to the River Module, and change the model to HEC-RAS.
- Select HEC-RAS | Import GIS File
- Navigate to the folder where the GIS data was exported in step 2 (it is saved to be in the same folder as the data). In the Open window, change the Files of type: field at the bottom to All Files (*.*)
- Select the *.sdf file and select Open.
- Specify where to save the cross section data and select save.
WMS – Watershed Modeling System
|Modules:||Terrain Data • Drainage • Map • Hydrologic Modeling • River • GIS • 2D Grid • 2D Scatter|
|Models:||CE-QUAL-W2 • GSSHA • HEC-1 • HEC-HMS • HEC-RAS • HSPF • MODRAT • NSS • OC Hydrograph • OC Rational • Rational • River Tools • Storm Drain • SMPDBK • SWMM • TR-20 • TR-55|
|Toolbars:||Modules • Macros • Units • Digitize • Static Tools • Dynamic Tools • Drawing • Get Data Tools|